My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

It's everything I want to tell people when they make small talk and profound talk, but I often can't. Sickness, sex, and the process of dealing with aging parents feel unspeakable and sometimes unreachable, but they sure aren't here.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Re-juggling, re-enacting, recycling, and so on

Hi folks, you might have noticed some changes in the order of the posts. I decided to research some copyright issues as I have come to love flickr.com more and more. I want to stay on the absolute strongest side of caution regarding copyright issues. While every link for each photo was intact and properly linked, the two lines of credit under each photo did not appear in every browser. In some cases, I found they didn't load consistently with each loading of the page (it appears that font size might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure). I have not found that Wordpress has experienced these problems, but Blogger is certainly showing a bug here. That's not okay, so I changed each post (I'm still working through them) to include a credit at the bottom with some additional links to the photographer's professional site, blog, etc. This means that some readers may be seeing two separate credits on each post, but oh well. I think it's pretty cool to share the stuff I like, and if it brings business to someone else, even better. I am also erring on the side of caution and etiquette by going back to every person, Creative Commons License or not, to obtain permission for use, since sometimes not everyone is clear on what the "Blog This" button may mean to someone, myself included. It will mean some jumbling of the order of the blog. I might post some text while waiting on a permission for a new pic I want to use, but I figure it's worth it. I realize that this might be tedious for some regular readers here, but in the interest of the utmost fairness to the photographers, I think it's best. Final note on recycling: I trashed some posts that I didn't think were so good, and I removed some photos that didn't work or seemed forced or even irrelevant. Always a work in progress. This post may appear from time to time as I need to update readers on the renovation at this blog - please pardon any redundancy as a result.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Denise said...

I'm very glad you posted this explanation. I thought I was going nuts because everything was out of order and I couldn't find the posts I was looking for. I feel better. :-)

1/27/2006 07:05:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Didn't you know? Driving readers nuts is one of the ways that I get my kicks. ;)

Nah, never. This process is about making my writing tighter and getting the best result out there, photos, copyrights, and writing together.

Warning: you might see this post resurrect again as a way to explain other jumbles that come up; this is not deja vu nor a medication glitch, lol. Also, if you see a post without a photo, the post may reappear with a photo (in same cases, will be placing old photos with new photos, as in the case of "A letter to my ex about fire").

Additionally, I would love to switch this blog over to Wordpress for a variety of reasons. I would have to change my method of linking, but since I would have to type out a credit over at Wordpress anyhow, it wouldn't be a big deal. I could use the categories feature over there, which I think would help a lot. Just writing spontaneously over time, I am noticing that I keep coming back to certain default topic areas in my head.

1/27/2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

And Denise, thanks for reading here and supporting me.

1/27/2006 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

So, if you get lazy and just shuffle things around instead of actually posting something new, you're going to pull this reason out again? Did I read between the right lines? :-)

1/30/2006 08:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Dammit! That's exactly right. Stop outing my evil half-assed ways!

1/30/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

That just goes to show that if you're going to go over to the Dark Side, you need to get your whole ass involved.

1/31/2006 08:52:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

LMAO, Jami! *note to self* Remove sputtered coffee from the keyboard. I swear if this computer short-circuits, I'm going to blame you for all the stuff I've spit on it from laughing.

1/31/2006 09:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jami said...

If you were like me and just drank straight alcohol when working on any computer, you wouldn't need to worry about things shorting out because any spilled or sputtered liquid would quickly evaporate.

1/31/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

*note to self*

Screw the iced tea. Just hit the vodka.

2/01/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

Just out of curiosity, do you write all your *notes to self* on different colored Post-its and then stick them on your face so you won't forget?

Me, too! Well, MY *notes*, not yours.

2/02/2006 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm much more of a boob-sticker.

I mean, I stick my notes on my boobs.

2/02/2006 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Koan said...

For what it's worth - *I* hope you migrate this blog over to WordPress, too - because then I could subscribe to a comments feed. I *love* reading comments, *hate* reading blogs in a browser, but normally have to, when it comes to comments.

I realise your preference for WordPress is for *your* convenience, but, dammit, I'm concerned about *my* convenience! ;-)

2/04/2006 06:22:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Koan, you are SO in luck! A friend helped me move this blog over to a new WordPress location: ALifeLessConvenient.com (ALLC). She is in the middle of things, at the moment, so this blog and the new one might look funky at times. Apart from the domain name/title/location, this blog will be what it has always been, but a lot more easily navigated over at WP and with better feeds.

2/04/2006 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home