My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

It's everything I want to tell people when they make small talk and profound talk, but I often can't. Sickness, sex, and the process of dealing with aging parents feel unspeakable and sometimes unreachable, but they sure aren't here.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Chores

Keeper of thy Gems Originally uploaded by feastoffools.

Yesterday was yet another laundry day, except, unlike the photo, it was neither glittery nor fabulous. It sure as hell did not involve gold lame, though Miss Confuckinggeniality will admit to once owning a green metallic bra with a velour trim, and it was not the '80s. However, laundry did give me lots of comforting home-y smells. I'm not sure how three people can generate so much smelly stuff. I did two jumbo loads (one load for that washer equals two regular loads) and one regular load. That was three trash bags' worth of lugging. I'm not sure if we are very dirty or very clean. Laundry is, surprisingly, one of the soothing things in my life. There is immediate gratification as soon as you dump the clothes in: you *know* you are about to check something off the to-do list in 34 minutes. My other chore has been my renewed commitment to getting more veggies in my diet. I was warned in '98 to increase my consumption of green veggies, and I am, slowly, one chomp at a time. I don't approach this task as eating. I think of it like folding, sweeping, dusting, or chucking the garbage into the dumpster. It's merely a chore, not me against my stomach, or me against the green veggie, although I *am* against brussels sprouts. Intensely.

Photo credit: "Keeper of Thy Gems" by feastoffools on flickr (click on photo for more pictures by that artist). Pictured: Leslie Hall, interviewed on the Feast of Fools podcast at www.feastoffools.net. Permission obtained for use.

5 Comments:

Blogger Koan said...

Gah! I *hate* brussels sprouts - any attempt to swallow one would lead to vomiting (I proved this in my youth, until my Mum finally accepted that I wasn't joking when I assured her they made me sick) - to this day, the smell of them cooking, or on a plate, will make me retch. Even *looking* at them makes me feel queasy.

The other food that is a no-no for me is bananas. I can't eat a banana, or something containing banana slices or pieces. But - I love the *taste*. And I can eat dried banana chips by the handful. There's something about the texture of banana in my mouth, though, that starts me gagging.

1/14/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

We are kindred spirits in our hatred of brussels sprouts - even in cooking odors. Guess you showed ma, huh? LOL!

Too bad about the bananas. I can agree about the texture, especially if they're a bit ripe and the *mooooooosh* thing happens right in your mouth.

1/14/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

I'll throw my NO vote to brussels sprouts, also. And I'll add cauliflower, too. But you won't get me on the banana boat. I actually kind of like them when they're on the mooshy side. The texture I can't abide is pears - they always seem gritty to me.

1/16/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Cauliflower is another gag-maker for me. The smell of that one cooking is also an icky thing.

Pears. I wished they tasted even half as good as Victoria's Secret pear fragrance.

1/16/2006 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jami said...

I don't think there's much of anything that tastes as good as it smells? And that's coming from someone who might be more than a little hard of hearing and who needs bifocals, too, but whose other 4 or 5 senses work very well, thank you!

1/17/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home