My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

It's everything I want to tell people when they make small talk and profound talk, but I often can't. Sickness, sex, and the process of dealing with aging parents feel unspeakable and sometimes unreachable, but they sure aren't here.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Roadkill Seeks Motivation

Uglydoll Originally uploaded by What What.

'Tis the day after methotrexate. With less hormonal activity, I am not a walking (and sleeping) zombie. In fact, I did two loads of laundry before 8 a.m., and submitted a rough draft of some writing to my boss.

By 8:30 a.m., I hit the gym for my daily PT. This is a rather graceless act post-meds. My regular gym bag is a white cotton bag that has my keys, phone, radio, Ace bandages, tissues, and pads in it. The basics. It also has a wadded-up barf bag of one variety or another. A little vomit doesn't have to get in the way of some truly good lifting - well, not mine, anyhow. I have learned to save items that might be useful, so today I snatched from the broom closet an old promotional trick-or-treat bag from that atrocious movie, The Incredibles. They have henceforth been named The Chunks.

My little white bag sits next to the bench where I have selected my dumbbells for the morning: 2 ten pounders, 2 twelve pounders, and 2 twenty pounders. I am one step over now, staring at myself balancing and straining in the mirror, feet shoulder-width apart as my shoulders and delts work. Between my feet sits the unfurled, waiting The Chunks bag. This is far more subtle than when I used to drag the big gray trash cans from their regular locations to wherever I was working out.

Photo credit: "Ugly Doll" by What What on flickr (click on the photo for more work by this artist). Take a look at his official website, What What, and the WhatBlog. Permission obtained for use.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Sue said...

Hey, I loved that movie! I bet the bag makes a great spew catcher.

12/22/2005 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Yeah, there's something about having superheroes at my feet and gastrointestinal mercy that appeals to me, but I'm toppy like that.

12/22/2005 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

That's my favorite Uglydoll! Have you seen all of them?

http://www.uglydolls.com/

12/23/2005 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I totally missed that the doll is part of a series. I'm so unhip. I bet I break down and buy one of these fuckers.

12/23/2005 04:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Sue said...

Maria, you are just the shopping wonder, I swear - you find the best sites to drop cash on. How do you do it?

12/23/2005 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I have no idea. But people have been putting my talent to use all my life by having my gift shop for them! lol

12/28/2005 12:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home