My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

It's everything I want to tell people when they make small talk and profound talk, but I often can't. Sickness, sex, and the process of dealing with aging parents feel unspeakable and sometimes unreachable, but they sure aren't here.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Return to Chemoland

Originally uploaded by pierre lascott.

Dad and I will go back to the infusion center where the needle will return to my hip and I will return to my bed, hoping that the nausea not be as thick and soupy as L.A. smog on a humid mid-August day. I am going because I have two choices: get the drug or get sicker. He is going because he has every choice, and he wants to be with me.

Once the fire alarm went off in outpatient oncology as we sat in the hallway, waiting. I told him the image in my head: 20 hooked-up patients tripping over their IV tubes as they bumbled out into the street and got tangled like dogs on leashes. We laugh at anything horrible.

Photo credit: by pierre lascott on flickr (click on photo for more ofthis artist's work). You can see more of his work and humor on his webpage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home