My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

It's everything I want to tell people when they make small talk and profound talk, but I often can't. Sickness, sex, and the process of dealing with aging parents feel unspeakable and sometimes unreachable, but they sure aren't here.

Monday, December 19, 2005

At 2 a.m.

I prayed. I begged. I was on my knees and belly after the first twitch of an aura hit.

"Aura" is a term that would appear, from sound alone, to impart some angelic or redeeming quality. An aura, the experience, is nothing of the sort, unless by "angelic," you mean the kind of angel that guides you into hurl hell. An aura is a set of symptoms and sensations that let you know something wicked this way comes. I've gotten auras before rheumatoid arthritis and lupus flares, and I definitely get an aura before a migraine, my 2 a.m. visitor. I asked Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, or whoever was heading the graveyard shift to pitch in. Someone was listening.

So far, so good. I have only had my breakfast once, not twice, and let's hope it stays that way.

Photo credit: "Buddha Bounces As I Drive Past Am-Ko" by benchilada on flickr (click on photo for more work from this artist). His livejournal where you can also see his fiction and non-fiction: benchilada.livejournal.com. Permission obtained for use.

2 Comments:

Blogger benchilada said...

I can say little but "I'm glad you liked my picture."

benjamin
benchilada.livejournal.com

1/24/2006 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I adore it!

1/25/2006 12:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home